Monday, January 12, 2009

Fighting Negativity In The Land of Subtraction

Negativitis. Ever heard of the disease? Ever heard people complain and be negative? Then you have heard of Negativitis.

"Negativitis cripples the human spirit" says Chuck Gallozzi in his very interesting article on Negative Thinking. He describes Negative Thinking as an 'insidious' disease.

He writes "It is as pervasive as the common cold, but far more damaging. It mutilates, cripples, and corrodes the human spirit. Those infected by it are broken men and women aimlessly plodding along. The dark clouds brooding over them obscure their vision and cause them to become confrontational, apathetic, and cynical. Their lives are like flat champagne, without any sizzle".

So I thought to myself, one of the biggest repercussions we as a society have suffered being ruled under an oppressive regime for thirty years, is acquiring this disease. Negativitis is everywhere, but in Maldives I think it is suffered exclusively by everyone and if there were classes of the disease, we would surely be in the "fatal negativitis" class. Well Addiction just got a rival to fight to get onto the top of the list along with Depression. So many people have told me "this is where you need to come to destroy your dreams". They do not know they are victims of Negativitis.

So how can we fight it? Of course you can go to a shrink and pop pills and be dazed the rest of your life. Or you could become a master of life management skills like Anger & Stress management. (If you ever do please let me know, cuz you would be in line to win some sort of award for sure). There is another solution that might sound a bit weird. Have you ever heard people say "An apple a day keeps the doctor away"? Well, I'm not talking about apples but something very close; Oranges! These are not just any average ordinary orange, these oranges are special. :

As written on the blog 'Phantoms & Monsters', Hugo Nanofsky, a biochemist, created these oranges. These Oranges contain THC, thus could be referred to as "Pot Oranges"(Heheh). How he achieved this was by combining Citrus sinesis with Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol. In other words these oranges contain the active ingredient in marijuana(THC) and would produce the same effect if eaten. Just joking, of course this is not the right nor the recommended way to fight Negativitis!

There's yet another way to fight Negativitis. Being Proactive.

Proactive - definition: "Acting in advance to deal with an expected difficulty; anticipatory: proactive steps to prevent terrorism".

Adj.1.proactive - descriptive of any event or stimulus or process that has an effect on events or stimuli or processes that occur subsequently; "proactive inhibition"; "proactive interference.

2.proactive - (of a policy or person or action) controlling a situation by causing something to happen rather than waiting to respond to it after it happens.

Hmm. I can tell you something I did trying to fight the elements of Negativitis once. Although I was not aware or knew what I was actually doing at that time. Since I came across the quote "Pain stimulates creativity", it became my code of conduct whenever I had to deal with excessive negative energy. I channelled it outwards, putting the energy into creating something, writing a song or just plain nonsense, compose a piece of music to my best ability and vent out the 'Negativitis' steam. I had a guitar a long time ago that was very special to me, his name was Pain Stimulus.

He was named Pain Stimulus because:
-'Pain': to signify elements of Negativitis.
-'Stimulus': in Latin means "goad, prick". Or:

1. Anything that may have an impact or influence on a system -example: an economic stimulus

2. (physiology) Something external that elicits or influences a physiological or psychological activity or response.

3. (psychology) Anything effectively impinging upon any of the sensory apparatuses of a living organism, including physical phenomena both internal and external to the body.

4. Anything that induces a person to take action.

I curved the name Pain Stimulus on the guitar and decorated it by painting it. Pain Stimulus was always there, he was my best friend. He was there whenever Negativitis came and knocked on my door, we fought together and we survived. I do not where Pain Stimulus is today, we had to part our ways. And wherever he is today, I just want to say:

"Pain Stimulus, to me you would always be the best Fender Stratocaster in the whole wide world, (eventhough you were from Mexico).

2 comments:

Hilath said...

Nice post. It's all a state of mind, isn't it? (I even renamed my blog with that!)

And you are right: we don't need external substances to make us happy.

I have adopted certain ways how I get rid of my own negativity as well. I will soon write a post about it.

But sometimes I do indulge in a little negativity and depression to let my creative process work! But I don't now over do it.

Cheers.

Mr. Karma said...

thank you for your comments Hilath.

Everyone experiences negtivity, hoever there people who are absolutely negative in all lives's day to day actions, its chronic. and its sad cuz its eating up your soul slowly.

Life's full of ups and downs, sure. But Im sure you fight to get out of the dip. Of course without a low there cannot be a high. And like you said, you don't over do it. you can deal with it. LIke every,emotion; impulsivelss, urges, boredom,...none of these emotions lasts forver, just like nothing lasts forever. Just got to survive.